Monday, November 19, 2007

Giving for Arts Education

Several weeks ago, I was going through the process of a little fall cleaning. Cleaning out my closets, truck, bookshelves, and my garage studio. If left undone, I would most certainly be a pack rat. During this process I came across numerous arts books, art supplies, and general tools and materials that I no longer have a use for but I would hate to just throw them away. I boxed up all the stuff and started to wonder about giving the stuff to some sort of charity or organization as a donation but I had no knowledge of anything local. After a brief phone call to Shannon Linker at the Arts Council of Indianapolis, I was directed to contact "Art With A Heart" which happens to be near my home. After visiting their web site and a quick email to them, I feel they are worth knowing more about. Their Vision Statement:

Art With a Heart is the premier not-for-profit visual arts organization in Indianapolis, who with its collaborative partners, provides excellent, innovative, visual arts programming resulting in measurable positive impact on the personal development of at-risk urban youth in becoming creative, productive, successful members of their communities. We believe that high quality, innovative visual arts education programming is essential to helping at-risk urban youth develop their full potential. Our mentor-intensive programs uniquely integrate art with core academic areas, encourage greater self-esteem, and focus on building problem solving, analytical and teamwork skills while maintaining the joy of the creative process. This rich, safe learning environment is designed to produce emotionally, intellectually, and creatively empowered youth. The success and pride of accomplishment that Art With a Heart students experience will translate into a desire to enhance their own surroundings and the community in which they live.
I have always enjoyed giving yet picky about the organizations I like to donate to. Something I have been talking about with my friends this past few weeks, since artists are always asked to donate work or time. It can be hard to decide which ones to say yes to and which ones you must pass on. I for one prefer to work with organizations where I can clearly see a direct benefit. I feel "Art With A Heart" has a direct impact on arts education and that is something I think we are all interested in. If you find you have some extra arts/crafts materials or books lying around, particularly in bulk, check them out and tell your friends about them. I have not yet made my donation but plan on doing so in the next week or two.

Aside from that organization, I have recently been fascinated by Kiva.org, a micro loan organization. While this group is not really arts related at all, I like the direct impact it has on people. People helping people. What could be better? If you know of some worthwhile organizations for arts donations, please let us know in the comments section.

1 Responses to “Giving for Arts Education”

Anonymous said...
November 20, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Hey Scott,

You can always donate materials to Herron High School. I can promise that we will put them to good use. We work with students of similar demographics and also have a similar vision. But, I won't be offended if you choose to go another route. The important thing is that you are helping someone out that intends to help others with your donations. Thanks for the post.

Trevor


All Rights Reserved OnTheCusp.org | Blogger Template by Bloggermint