Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Different Perspective

[image, Reverend Jen from her post on Artnet]

I must admit, my goal of writing more local reviews on a regular basis has recently fallen by the wayside. Multiple jobs has been a factor, though that is now not an issue so I expect to step up the content more over the next few months. Trying to get back into the fell of things, I have been catching up on some review reading from my usual sources. This has lead me to think about what type of art writers I enjoy reading and why. With out going to much into it, I believe the writers I enjoy the most are willing to give their opinion, their perspective on things and though intelligently put, have a casual slant to their writing without the heavy
use of academic jargon or art speak.

I have recently been looking forward to a rather new column on Artnet, Diary of an Art Star. Artnet has continued to be one of the leading online art magazines, with a constant arsenal of talented writers. With writers like Jerry Saltz, Donald Kuspit, Ben Davis, and yes even Charlie Finch (no one would argue that he does not have his own personal slant or perspective on things). Diary of an Art Star, written by Reverend Jen self proclaimed art star, urban elf, troll museum founder and up-and-coming celebrity personality. With passages like the following, who wouldn't keep reading. It is quite entertaining yet still seems to capture a unique perspective of the current art world.

"Studying the art listings in Time Out New York, I was filled with ennui. Little piqued my interest. Collages? Ho-hum. Narrative paintings? No. Mixed media? Phooey. I fretted that I had become too numb to enjoy art. Finally something caught my eye -- nude male figures. Apparently, the only thing I care about is looking at naked men."
For those of you who may be interested in reading Diary of an Art Star, you can read the existing columns here, here, here, and here.

1 Responses to “A Different Perspective”

Anonymous said...
May 14, 2007 at 9:18 AM

I liked all her remarks about abstract art....heheheh!
I didn't know pubic hair had evaporated.


All Rights Reserved OnTheCusp.org | Blogger Template by Bloggermint