Saturday, October 07, 2006

Turner Prize

I still don't know why I'm obsessed with the Turner Prize, maybe it's because I love British Art Criticism. From Adrien Searle's article in the Guardian [via]:

On Titchner: Without a doubt, Titchner is trying to brainwash me. Critical resistance is futile. He will win the Turner prize. He is the best. Give him the money. He is the Master. I will obey.

On an earlier installation by Warren: This is a much better show for the sculptor. I must confess to being bored by her Robert Crumb-meets-Willem de Kooning-meets-Helmut Newton big-assed and -breasted clay floozies. Why must she always make a joke out of her sculptures?

And in case anyone is interested, I cast my vote for Phil Collins.

2 Responses to “Turner Prize”

Scott said...
October 8, 2006 at 2:48 AM

I have not seen one of Colins video pieces in person yet but I don't quite get why people like his work to the degree that they do. Perhaps you can explain it to me sometime over drinks Chris.

As for Searle's comment about Warren's need for the "joke" in her sculptures, that too has bothered me about her work. Though I do like them.

But the winner, in my opinion should be Tomma Abts. A great painter.


ChristopherWestPresents said...
October 9, 2006 at 1:09 PM

Pse, Pse, Pseudio! Of course you would pick the painter Scott! Just kidding, I like Abts too.

I'll try to work on a post about why Phil Collins "rocks".


All Rights Reserved OnTheCusp.org | Blogger Template by Bloggermint