Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Interview: Wug Laku's Studio & Garage

I have been asked to help supply some blogging content to the newly launched IDADA web site. Not initially knowing what I would want to offer by way of content that I felt their readers would want. I came to the decision to do a monthly column for their site and hyper-link to it from OtC. This way I would be able to offer this content to all of our readers here at OtC, by way of a snippet and a hyper-link, and hopefully help to draw more readers to their new site as well. In this column, I will be presenting the first in a series of monthly interviews with a number of local gallery owners and art organizations in and around downtown Indianapolis. A chance to introduce a number of these people who are integral to the life and vitality of the local art scene and give us all some insight into their role and perspective of the arts in our community.


This months interview: Wug Laku of Wug Laku's Studio & Garage

SG: Can you give us a little background on yourself and a brief summary on how the gallery came about?


Wug: I’ve been an Indianapolis artist for over twenty years. During that time I’ve belonged to several organizations, including the Coalition of Indianapolis Artists, which sort of got the ball rolling for the modern era of Indianapolis artists in 1987, along with the Massachusetts Avenue scene. I’ve started or been a founding member of numerous galleries and artist spaces, including the Glendale Mall Co-op, School 30, and Art in Hand Gallery in Zionsville. I’ve exhibited my work in just about every kind of venue locally, from hallway shows to formal gallery spaces and retail spaces.

In late fall 2006, I began to look for working space for myself, since a 10’ x 10’ room in my house was just too cramped for everything I do, from paintings to woodworking to lamp making. I explored the usual places like the Stutz and Murphy but they just didn’t feel right. I was talking with a friend, Jennifer Kaye Laughner, and she mentioned looking into the Circle City Industrial Complex. I checked it out, and found the perfect space at the perfect price. It wasn’t my intention to open a gallery, but I had enough room. I figured, why not, so I began showing my work and the work of friends, and publicizing the place, and it’s just built from there.



(READ MORE)

0 Responses to “Interview: Wug Laku's Studio & Garage”

All Rights Reserved OnTheCusp.org | Blogger Template by Bloggermint