Friday, December 07, 2007

Miami Day Two (Thursday)

The goal for today was to start off a bit slow and just hit some of the satelite fairs near the hotel. So first up, Red Dot Art Fair, Flow, Art Now, and Bridge. All of these fairs are hotel fairs and each with its own set backs but I tend to enjoy these casual encounters. This year, at this point in the week, everyone seemed to be quite pleasant and I enjoyed meeting and chatting with several of the gallery owners and some of the artists watching over the spaces. I even ran into a number of people I met back at Bridge in Chicago last spring.

[image, painting by Scott Richter]

A couple of the highlites for me were to see a few small paintings by Scott Richter at Elizabeth Harris' space. These were paintings from his recent solo show at their gallery. And despite what Donald Kuspit has to say about these paintings, I think they are beautiful, smart paintings. They gallery even gave me a wonderful catelog of his earlier works. I do like this gallery. I also enjoyed seeing more of Macha Suzuki's squirrel drawings (may need to by myself another) and some lovely photos by Pipo Nguyen-Duy both at Sam Lee Gallery from LA. [image, photo by Pipo Nguyen-Duy]

While there were a couple other works I enjoyed, some galleries still refuse to allow any photo-documentation of their works and or booth space, so in respect to their wishes, I will not post images of their artists work but at the same time I will not mention those galleries or their artists. Sorry. Considering how much I have seen, this may seem quite brief for a report but it can be a bit daunting. Names and piece elude you, galleries and fairs start to flow into one. I was actually in one galleries space as the owner continued to convince one of her patrons that her booth was at one fair when in fact that fair was across the street where my hotel is. Quite funny, she didn't even know what fair she was in.

1 Responses to “Miami Day Two (Thursday)”

Anonymous said...
December 10, 2007 at 11:45 PM

Only 2 days in miami? I was hoping for more camera phone picks.


All Rights Reserved OnTheCusp.org | Blogger Template by Bloggermint