Sunday, November 23, 2008

Links: Winkleman Edition

I have been following a couple posts over at Ed Winkleman's blog that I wanted to share with everyone who has yet to make his blog a daily read.  Be sure to read up on the comments as well.



And it must be the holidays. While I was checking my blog reader this evening I noticed that two of my favorite things have come together as one, Ed Winkleman on Bad at Sports.  What more can you ask for?

Oh, and if you did not catch it two more of our favorites came together a couple weeks ago, Art Fag City on Bad at Sports.  Things are getting exciting.

2 Responses to “Links: Winkleman Edition”

Craig McCormick said...
November 28, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Great articles, indeed. But applicable to the top of the art market in most cities. In Indianapolis, many emerging artists are not gallery represented or tied to a gallery contractually. I recommend contacting artists directly, visiting their studios, buying them a cup of coffee or a beer. This is a good way to buy art and perhaps get to know the person who creates the work you admire. There are also some great deals to be found at benefit fundraisers, open studios nights and galleries/shows which specialize in emerging artists like the Indianapolis Art Center and Harrison Center for the Arts.


Scott said...
November 28, 2008 at 9:59 PM

All great points Craig. I know most of my artist friends have made some discounts to people they have been friends with over a period of time or have continued to collect their work over a period of time. I say this, not so people will expect or necissarily should get a discounted price on an art work but simply that artists (particularly those with out gallery representation) sales come and go. When sales are low they are often willing to part with some works for a discount to people they like and respect. Most artists want the work to be had by people they like and those that will truely love living with the work.

For example, I have been working on a new series of small paintings that will be available in my studio this coming First Friday at the Murphy Bldg., all priced at $100. It's the holidays and money is always tight, so rather than discount my usual pieces significantly, I decided to make a new series of affordable works. I must say, I am quite likeing a number of these new works. happy holidays.


All Rights Reserved OnTheCusp.org | Blogger Template by Bloggermint